8/9/08

Isla Vista, California


Last night....

Last night I had a very interesting night in terms of any sort of symbolic/allegorical moments I was hoping to have in regards to my last weekend living in Isla Vista.
I went to a party at D's on DP where he is curently living.
We drank wine and chatted to a few bros.
Talked to a few girls who had the most glossy eyes and were clearly not in any clear state of mind.
Pushed my way through crowds of college students who live for the weekend while avoiding scuffing any shoes and holding my breath through the plumes of cigarette smoke that sifted above their all too done up hair.
Watched the moon's spotlight on the ocean.
And smiled all the while....

We walked DP and ran into people we knew....
strangely enough many being ones i had met my first weekend in iv.
I even stood for a few moments in a cirlce with a couple of former fontainbleu-ians as well as a former RA.
We got yelled at...we yelled.
We lied and laughed and walked that endless circle that is Isla Vista.

I thought, at the end of it, that I would feel some how complete...or at least different from my first weekend experience here, but I found myself in a similar state of being...
Quietly smiling while observing such a unique environment.
Knowing none of this is for me...but the time spent here was not wasted and would never be regreted.
Such a unique environment.

It is one big circle...IV.
Beginning sometime on a thursday evening at the 65 block of Del Playa Dr. and ending sometime early monday morning in a darkly lit room down on the 68 block of some ambiguous street.

It never ends.... due to its size and demographic this circle is constant and in many cases, the only one available. And that is perfectly fine. That is it's purpose.

Coming full circle is an interesting expereince.

Relearning what you already knew...
Watching what you have seen a million times before....
and realizing that we are still people sharing the same human experience...
And whether that experience is in Draper Utah...Westwood LA..or Isla Vista California, the point is that you live it, learn from it and realize it's significance in your own development.

:)
last night was hella tight broseph....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are talanted