6/26/08

"I feel as though I am waking up from a dream"

About one year ago, today, someone very special to me upon his departure stated that he "felt as though he was waking up from a dream..."

At the time I might have told myself, with great confidence, that I, too, was in fact waking up from a blissful dream of passion, love and freedom. Today I have realized that I have been still asleep this whole year.

We hear a lot of cliches about finding 'the one' and getting 'your happy ending',,,its a very pleasant thought for us human beings who live each day unsure of what the future truly does hold through our sometimes unintentional actions. I have come to the conclusion that both of those cliches are completely and totally temporary. Many times I have found the one. And many times I have encountered feelings of an endless happiness with another person. But how is it possible to say such things when we, ourselves, are continuously changing?...
I have given myself completely to another human beings in the comfort of that singular 'happy ending' image.
People change
But you know what.....so do you.
In the end we all get our happy endings because we have all accomplished the task we were all unwillingly asked to perform...to live. To live one day is monumental enough in my eyes because we all change someone or something during our time on earth. It is in that effect that casues me to believe the human life has value.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that I am lowering the value of true love becuase I know it exists...i have felt it unquestionably. What I mean to say....is that we will all meet the one. That one may be for the rest of our lives...of theirs...or for the rest of the semester. And in that relationship of wonderful, passionate proximity you will come to learn more about yourself than in any other instance and that is worth an ending...happy or hurtful.

It took me one year to realize that despite my emotions toward another human being...I, too, have been 'the one'.
in the end we are all eachother's 'one'. We all have the ability to create our own 'happy endings'...through our friendships...through our success..and even through our failures.

My life does have value and I do have the power to change not only the world outside of me...but the world within me as well.

My ending will be happy...and even though it might not be with the singular person I at one time would have hoped, I know I will look back at that time and have no power to stop that significant and unique smile. On my time with him...and my time with me.

Good morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry. It gives me a lot to think about.

And yes, I know this blog is old and you may not care about it anymore but I'm glad it's still up because I've enjoyed reading your thoughts. I feel lucky to have stumbled upon it.

--Tricia