6/15/08

Labels and Love


If you ask almost anyone who has ever met me... fashion (or anything associated with it) is not what you would call an interest of mine. I hate shopping for...anything really. Things in general just drain me of energy, so you can imagine how i feel about skinny models dressing themselves in expensive drappery and strutting down the runway....
So then why is it I find myself interested in the world of labels when i watch movies like Sex and the City, the Devil Wears Prada, or shows like Project Runway?....
The writers and producers have somehow found a way to penetrate my material-skeptical heart and tug at my interest. Maybe it's just them doing a godd job...or is it becuase i have become inevitably closer to this world with my assoication with my LBGTQ community (IM NOT STEREOTYPING HERE but the ones who i have come to know have a knack for this particualr area).....or am i truly interested in it the same way others are.
I could never imagine spending 140 on sunglasses by Gucc-ior....and I cringe when i see others lay down their card for that latest 300 purse by prad-vutton....
Even as i sit here in my basketball shorts from kmart and shirt from some community organization i did years ago I find myself completely puzzled i am even spending time discussing this.
However, as it has become more of an interest to me and more of an occupation of my TIME here then Ive decided the best rememdy is through writing....
Maybe i just have abnormal buyers remorse. I hate spending money on things. That was probably intilled in me by watching my mother give countless dollars away to friends simply becuase she was nice by nature and then watching her get screwed over in the end.
Yet i cant stop that slight tug in my legs towards a brightly lit store with items on glass shelves and men in black suits stationed around the store and more mirrors than a freaking fun house...as of late.
Ive never understood the fasicination with labels or the interest in expensive ways to carry your phone or wallet or...dog...
But then again....mos tpeople cant understand my interest in lord of the rings, edith wharton, and early 17th century baroque art.
But then again....arent those creations and creators that please my eye? As i am sure fashion does for my fellow friends....
Well whatever the case, i will keep my strict line between what i want and what i need!
And i NEED those dior sunglasses at the top right about now...
;)

No comments: